Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Recent Happenings

Greetings readers.

I read some news today which made me very happy. Firstly, Steven Wilson, Porcupine Tree front man, is in the process of recording his second solo album. His first, Insurgentes, was superb, and quite possibly one of the most beautiful album's I've heard. The lush soundscapes he creates carry me off to another world with each listen. Also Wilson related (you will hear a great deal of him, as he is one of my idols) is that his new Bass Communion album is complete. Entitled Cenotaph, will be a sequel to Ghosts on Magnetic Tape.

A little on Bass Communion: this is one of Wilson's many (No-Man, Blackfield, IEM, to name a few) side projects. Bass Communion is an ambient/drone/instrumental band. Their songs are usually upwards of 10 minutes, carefully and beautifully painting a scene with serene and otherworldy sounds. They have ten albums out already, of which I am ashamed to say I own only one. But in my defense, they are extremely difficult to come across (a copy on amazon is going for $50, last I checked) and I am but a poor humble college student. I would definitely recommend them to anyone into that sort of music.

Also, Mikael Akerfeldt's band Opeth (the best metal band in recent times) announced that their tenth album is coming along. This pleased me immensely, as I haven't heard new material from them since the song Throat of Winter for the recent God of War soundtrack. Their last album, Watershed, came out in 2008; its about time for some new Opeth.

I will discuss these people/bands/songs in much more detail in upcoming posts. But this is the general heads up for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment